AM Pioneers GmbH will bring 3D printers and exciting use cases to Motek/Bondexpo 2021 in Stuttgart. Leonardo Scardigno, senior expert for bionic design and additive manufacturing, explains several of the benefits of 3D printing for customers.
3D printing has already penetrated numerous production processes. Please give us a few examples that illustrate the advantages of 3D printing.
- Extensive freedom of design and individualisation
- Utilisation of a wide range of materials and material combinations
- Reduced weight thanks to complex component design and use of materials such as continuous carbon fibre
- Cost savings through the avoidance of tooling costs
- Short time-to-market thanks to faster prototype production
- Less assembly work through the combination of various components
- Lower inventory costs thanks to on-demand production
Which industry sectors benefit most from 3D printing technology?
The versatility and flexibility of 3D printing makes it suitable for use in almost all industry sectors. In particular, the automotive, orthopaedics and aerospace sectors are worthy of mention.
Which technological obstacles will have to be overcome during further development of 3D printing?
Currently, for example, longer production times as compared to conventional manufacturing processes have to be overcome with new technologies. Until this and other technological obstacles have been overcome, we’re relying on ingenious re-engineering to compensate for any disadvantages of 3D printing, for example by saving material or integrating functions.
Which specific target group is your company approaching?
All companies who are interested in additive manufacturing. We perform individual potential analyses in order to determine whether or not it makes sense to start using additive manufacturing, as well which process or industrial 3D printer can be used. Our objective is to provide comprehensive support throughout the entire on-boarding and development process.
Which trade fair highlight will you present at the “3D Special Show” during Motek/Bondexpo 2021 in Stuttgart?
- Continuous fibre 3D printer
- Multi-material 3D printer
- 3D printer for high-performance polymers
- Numerous exciting use cases